Originally constructed and erected from 1957-1959 with a capacity of 500,000 gallons (1.9 million liters), the Lethbridge water tower served much of the city with pressurized potable water. After the completion of the city water treatment plant along with more efficient technology it was no longer a necessity and stopped functioning as a water tower in 1999.
In early 2000 a public plea was issued on the front page of the Lethbridge Herald for ideas to possibly salvage the landmark.
Douglas J. Bergen accepted this challenge and began the three-year process of convincing the City of Lethbridge that the large steel structure should become an elevated restaurant and lounge. He hired consulting engineers to check the structure and they found it to be still strong and sturdy. The city sold the water tower to Mr. Bergen and on March 24, 2003 Douglas J. Bergen & Associates Ltd. received the development permit and set out to execute the transformation.
With the main restaurant level sitting 102’ above ground level, the views of the city and surrounding countryside are spectacular. The diameter of the tank is nearly 76’ and the overall height of the building including the mast is over 180’, making this building a continued recognized landmark in the city.After the purchase and renovations the 2 million dollar repurpose was complete. The hugely successful grand opening in June of 2004 gave the once slated for demolition green Goliath, a new face in the community.
The artboard panels were installed one year before the restaurant opened. Structural steel panels were fabricated in the industrial park and transported to the site complete with escort. At 20’ x 32’ they occupied both lanes of traffic.
Steel floors were crafted to create the three interior floors. The top of the crown rests at 132 feet above the ground with a 60 foot-tall aerial added to the top making it 192 feet from the ground to the top of the mast.
For additional history and information on the Water Tower visit the Lethbridge Water Tower website.